[cairo] Tripping on first step - cannot compile "hello world" with Cairo on Mingwenv

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:09:08 PST 2012

On 08-Mar-2012 11:52, Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev wrote:
> Try adding -mconsole to the mingw compiler, as you have main()
> instead of WinMain()

Same error.

I was able to build a gtk+ hello world, and this cairo hello world
(which only writes to a
png file):

#include <cairo.h>
#include <strings.h>

int
main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
         cairo_surface_t *surface =
             cairo_image_surface_create (CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32, 240, 80);
         cairo_t *cr =
             cairo_create (surface);

         cairo_select_font_face (cr, "courier", CAIRO_FONT_SLANT_NORMAL,
CAIRO_FONT_WEIGHT_BOLD);
         cairo_set_font_size (cr, 32.0);
         cairo_set_source_rgb (cr, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
         cairo_move_to (cr, 10.0, 50.0);
         cairo_show_text (cr, "hello world");

         cairo_destroy (cr);
         cairo_surface_write_to_png (surface, "hello.png");
         cairo_surface_destroy (surface);
         return 0;

The gtk+ hello world example must have some other issue.  There is no
main() or winmain() in it, maybe
it needs one?

Anyway, I was able to address the problem I was after with a variant of
the cairo/png program, so we can close this thread.

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu