[cairo] How to load a font from a *.ttf file?

Carlo defrag1986 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 07:01:58 PDT 2012

Hi,
how can I load a TrueType Font in cairo? I need to render some test on a
surface (DirectFB backend, but I think that is not relevant), using a
monospaced font. I tried Pango libraries, but it takes the font from
FontConfig and I can't properly configure the width an height of the
font, I can't resize the font to fit in a precise logical extent. Cairo
scaled font seems to be useful for my purpose, but I don't understand
how to load a *ttf.
Thank you in advance
Carlo