[cairo] Cairo PDF embedded images not optimizable in Adobe Acrobat

Ben Bradley bbradleyuk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 03:12:26 PST 2012

Hi everyone

I create designed pages in Inkscape then export to PDF. Then I can
further process these PDFs in Acrobat, combine multiple pages and
downsample the images etc.

I believe Inkscape uses Cairo as the back-end for exporting the PDFs.

The problem I've found is that the PDF Optimizer in Acrobat is refusing
to process and downsample the embedded images created by Inkscape/Cairo.

I posted this thread on the Adobe forums and had the following reply...
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4836095#4836095
"The PDF creation software (cairo?) has certainly done something odd. It
has wrapped up the image in a tiling pattern, then painted the pattern
just once. PDF shrinking software isn't likely to mess with the contents
of patterns, they are normally tiny special effect bitmaps not to be
adjusted... maybe there's an option to change this on creation."

Has anyone else encountered this?
Are there any options in Cairo (that aren't exposed by Inkscape) that
can change the way images are embedded in a PDF?

Cheers, B