[cairo] Cairo build failure with gcc 4.9

Bryce W. Harrington b.harrington at samsung.com
Tue Jul 8 13:00:02 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 05:16:54PM +0530, Jay Aurabind wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to test out wayland with no Xorg as per instructions given in arch wiki[1].
>
> I used "CFLAGS=-DMESA_EGL_NO_X11_HEADERS ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/  --disable-xcb  --enable-glesv2" to build, but this failed with many errors. This was already filed as bug in arch linux[2], but it is closed, reason "upstream".

I tested this with gcc 4.6 on Ubuntu 12.04, which configured and built
with no problems, and then with gcc 4.8 on 14.04.  The latter failed to
build, but it just needed a couple updates to configure.ac.  I'll post
the patches directly.

> I just wanted to know if someone has found any workarounds yet. Trying with  "CFLAGS=-DMESA_EGL_NO_X11_HEADERS -fno-lto" gave other error messages[3].
>
> For some reason I cant get the gcc 4.8 work sanely on my system. It always fails saying "compiler cannot create executables".

This is a generic error message from gcc, and just means there was some
random build failure.  You'll have to study your config.log to see the
problem.  For example, I got this error because my ~/.ccache dir was
owned by root.  But could be anything.

> Has anyone found any workarounds for this problem?

Thanks for testing the build on gcc 4.9.  Looks like we need to do a bit
wider testing before release, to make sure it'll build cleanly
everywhere.

Bryce