[cairo] Windows 8.x security requirements / SafeSEHCheck - NXCheck - DBCheck

LRN lrn1986 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 01:35:50 PDT 2015

On 01.04.2015 11:02, Maarten Mostert wrote:

>>> Those files are two and a half years old!?
>>>
>>> Why not build it yourself? You have to include the whole thing in your
>>> distribution anyway, since Windows doesn’t do package management.
> Would there be any technical issue or hurdle to comply with Windows 8.1 security requirements ?

Possibly.

> Why is it that the “official" binary is 2.5 years old ? Do I miss something ?

Free software projects (especially ones that do not provide end-user
applications, like cairo and gtk) tend to rely on third parties (distributions)
for building (buildservers), distributing (repositories) binaries in a
controlled (package managers) manner.

Free software distributions for Windows practically did not exist until roughly
a year ago, and are still being developed.
Even the ones that do exist now tend to use free software toolchains (i.e. not
Visual Studio; i'm assuming here that MSVS is required, because the article you
linked specifically mentions MSVC compile options and SEH is mentioned as
well). Partially because they avoid proprietary software, partially because the
code that they build is often MSVC-compatible anyway.

So, unless you manage to find such a distribution, you'll have to build
everything yourself (free software projects that *do* provide end-user
applications on Windows often do exactly that). Good luck.

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org