[cairo] Dodgy Python Example

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Tue Dec 22 13:22:48 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 03:25:53PM +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> I’m thinking this example
> <http://cairographics.org/cookbook/freetypepython/> of how to fudge
> using FreeType fonts with Pycairo should be deprecated in its present
> form. Because it doesn’t do the set_user_data dance, the FreeType face
> will not be correctly disposed when the Cairo font face is disposed.
>
> Fixing this will make the example even more fiddly than it is already.
>
> Is it time to admit that Pycairo is a dead project? I did look at
> trying to fix it up, and decided that having to write the translation
> layer in C was just too much work.

People still use pycairo actually.  Until distros stop shipping it, it
may be unsupported but not quite dead yet.  I've also chatted with more
than a couple people still using pycairo; some are interested in
something newer and are glad to hear there are active projects to
migrate to, others prefer sticking with pycairo until there are more
compelling reasons for switching.

I'd suggest just dropping the example if it's too far gone, but it's
hardly the only bitrotted example on the website.  I'd suggest focusing
energies on producing better updated docs and examples for your python
cairo framework and leave the pycairo stuff to bitrot in peace.  You're
doing a good job establishing a replacement, so just keep going with
that and then perhaps replacing all the pycairo stuff is going to end up
being the de facto best way forward on this.

Bryce