[cairo] Recent changes to branch 1.14

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Mon Jul 6 13:51:22 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 09:51:54AM +0100, John Emmas wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This morning I updated locally, from the latest stable branch in git
> (1.14, I think).  The last time I updated was around a fortnight
> ago.  I was genuinely surprised at the huge amount of stuff that's
> been added in the past fortnight (far more than I'd normally expect
> to see in a supposedly 'stable' branch).  Up until a fortnight ago,
> I don't think anything had been added (to 1.14) since about the end
> of last year.  Then suddenly, a whole ton of stuff seems to have
> gotten merged into 1.14 from master.
>
> Admittedly, everything seems to be still building okay so this isn't
> a complaint as such.  It just struck me as unusual to see this
> amount of activity in a stable branch.  I just thought I'd flag it
> up in case something's gone wrong somewhere.  Best regards,

Thanks for flagging, but this is normal.

Since the 1.14.0 release, work has focused exclusively on bugfixing and
stabilization.  This work was done in trunk, but all of it is suitable
for the 1.14 branch as well.  Indeed, much of this was what made up the
1.14.2 stable release.  So what you saw was just the syncing of
the branches.

It's kind of a hassle to maintain two branches that have essentially the
same contents, but it seems to be the correct way to manage it.  I plan
on trying to sync them up more frequently going forward, but we'll see.
Eventually we'll get some changes landed for trunk that aren't suitable
for stable, and the two branches will diverge at that point.

Bryce