[cairo] A patch to detect CTFont API availability (Re: [PATCH 2/3] Update README with new minimum MacOSX requirements)

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Tue Mar 10 13:06:22 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:02:24PM +0100, Andrea Canciani wrote:
> > > The change itself is not very complex, but maintaining 10.4 is becoming
> > > unfeasible, given that testing is very hard.
> >
> > Oops. However, my bug seems to appear in the newest environment
> > which lacks old API (and I don't have such environment yet X-O,
> > so it does not show the difficulty to test 10.4 (I can do that,
> > if somebody could give the collection of the expected results).
> Sorry, you're right. That typo does not show the difficulty to test 10.4
> specifically, but it suggests that relying on conditional compilation and
> dynamic linking is more error prone. If you used the function directly, the
> compiler would have warned about a missing declaration and the linker about
> an unresolved symbol.

I've opted to punt on these other patches for now, just out of caution
of introducing sizable changes right before release.

But for 1.14.4, we should probably either finalize our decision to
remove 10.4 support, or restore it and commit to maintaining it for some
period (maybe until 1.16?)  Andrea and Toshiyasan, please find a
consensus between the two of you for what approach we should take, and
we'll revisit this.


More information about the cairo mailing list