[cairo] A patch to detect CTFont API availability (Re: [PATCH 2/3] Update README with new minimum MacOSX requirements)

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 10 20:45:33 PDT 2015

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:02:24PM +0100, Andrea Canciani wrote:
>>>> The change itself is not very complex, but maintaining 10.4 is becoming
>>>> unfeasible, given that testing is very hard.
>>> Oops. However, my bug seems to appear in the newest environment
>>> which lacks old API (and I don't have such environment yet X-O,
>>> so it does not show the difficulty to test 10.4 (I can do that,
>>> if somebody could give the collection of the expected results).
>> Sorry, you're right. That typo does not show the difficulty to test 10.4
>> specifically, but it suggests that relying on conditional compilation and
>> dynamic linking is more error prone. If you used the function directly, the
>> compiler would have warned about a missing declaration and the linker about
>> an unresolved symbol.
> I've opted to punt on these other patches for now, just out of caution
> of introducing sizable changes right before release.
> But for 1.14.4, we should probably either finalize our decision to
> remove 10.4 support, or restore it and commit to maintaining it for some
> period (maybe until 1.16?)  Andrea and Toshiyasan, please find a
> consensus between the two of you for what approach we should take, and
> we'll revisit this.

Thanks, I will try to find a consensus. Andrea mentioned about the
separation of the different font/graphics backends, I think it's
reasonable attitude to prevent the complexity.


More information about the cairo mailing list