[cairo] Fwd: What should I learn to build GUI framework from scratch?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Sun Mar 15 15:43:10 PDT 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:44:33 +0300, Эльдар Габдуллин wrote:

> I'd like to implement GUI framework from scratch.

Lesson 1: All GUI frameworks suck. This follows from
Lesson 2: All GUIs suck.

GUIs are all designed with specific usage scenarios in mind. However,
people’s use of computers evolves over time. So the GUI has to evolve
to keep up. Which means it inevitably loses more and more of its
original integrity and simplicity.

Or, in other words, there is no such thing as a universal GUI.

> The end result should be similar in scope to what HTML/CSS does with
> reasonable performance.

Isn’t there a contradiction in terms there somewhere?

> Also, how much time the whole project will approximately take?

If you don’t need to get it right, then, say, one lifetime ought to be
enough.

If you need to get it right, then you will never finish.