[cairo] Cairo In Ubuntu 14.04?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Wed Sep 30 18:23:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:42:45PM +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> A client of mine is running a script of mine that uses Cairo. They
> report their Cairo version as “1.13.0~20140204-0ubuntu1.1”. This seems
> to be the latest version for Ubuntu 14.04
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cairo/1.13.0~20140204-0ubuntu1.1>,
> which is an LTS release.
>
> The problem is, they are reporting some odd discrepancies of one or two
> pixels in laying out things, as well quality problems, compared to what
> I get when I run the same script with the same inputs on my machine
> (Cairo version 1.14.2 under Debian Unstable).
>
> That 1.13 version number strikes me as a little suspicious. As I
> understand it, all stable Cairo releases have version numbers 1.x with
> even-numbered x.
>
> Does anyone know of issues with Cairo on this Ubuntu version?

Not offhand, but you can review the git history for changes since
2014/02/04 to see what's missing.  Most significant change in this
period is probably the downscaling stuff, but dunno if that relates at
all to the problem you're seeing.

Don't forget to check pixman too, esp. for lower level rendering
differences.

> And why
> they chose a 1.13 version for an LTS release instead of sticking with
> 1.12?

For cairo, ubuntu largely follows what gnome does, so my guess would be
something relating to gnome requirements, but I don't know offhand.
There were some longish delays in releases towards the end of the 1.12
series, which is why various distros switched to shipping snapshots
around that timeframe.

Reminds me that time is nigh for getting 1.14.4 out the door.

Bryce