[cairo] Warnings from MSVC build

Simon Richter Simon.Richter at hogyros.de
Mon Feb 8 15:43:37 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm working on shipping Windows binaries of KiCad, which uses Cairo,
built with the MSVC compiler.

I see several compiler warnings that might be worth looking at, the full
report is at

http://ci.kicad-pcb.org/view/Windows/job/windows-cairo-msvc/lastSuccessfulBuild/warnings35Result/

There are three major categories:

 - "unexpected tokens following preprocessor directive - expected a newline"

This smells like something really fishy is going on during preprocessing
-- these happen in the pixman version comparison lines.

 - "This object file does not define any previously undefined public
symbols, so it will not be used by any link operation that consumes this
library"

These come from empty files. Are these still needed?

 - "'type cast': pointer truncation from 'void *' to 'unsigned long'"

These smell wrong to me. On MSVC, "unsigned long" is 32 bits wide, so
casting a 64 bit pointer to it is probably a bad idea.

Should I investigate further, or did someone already do that?

   Simon