[cairo] JPEG Support For Libcairo

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Sat Jan 2 03:17:28 PST 2016

On 31.12.2015 14:02, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Indeed, at the time, the impression I got from Carl and others was
> that the PNG support is just a convenience and everything else should
> be done on top.

Agreed. Maybe we should even put the png stuff into a separate library
and declare the builtin one deprecated. That way, we leave the distros
the decision whether to keep it enabled, and applications can be
migrated smoothly.

The interesting question now is: should we have separate libraries per
image file format, or one big one, which might even do automatic format
detection (so applications dont need to care at all).

> gtkpixbuf is one such library that supports a bunch of formats.  I
> imagine the glib dependency might not be desirable, so someone might
> want to start a new library.

Exactly. For my project (an tiny widget toolkit) I *definitivly* do
*not* want anything of that bloat.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt,