[cairo] cairo packaging and Makefile.am.features

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Sat Apr 15 10:58:05 UTC 2017

On 14.04.2017 21:15, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 14.04.2017 18:33, Uli Schlachter wrote:
[...]
> Could it be that it's magically doing that on its own ?

I don't remember the exact name of the flag, but auto-foo can be told to
automatically re-run configure if configure.ac changes etc. So yes, it
could be that "make" noticed that an input to automake changed, so then
it reruns automake. Then it notices that "configure.ac" changed and it
reruns configure.

To check that theory, you would need to look at some build logs.

[...]
>>> Therefore, these files *really* should always be autogenerated and
>>> strictly kept out of the src tree / tarball.
>>
>> They are autogenerated. "make dist" adds it to tarballs since the file
>> is included by something.
>
> I dont think the tarball should contain any autogenerated stuff.

You don't want tarballs with "configure" in them? That's quite unusual
and will make many, many people unhappy.

> That brings the risk that not everything's regenerated, if some patches
> applied

Which is why distros re-generate configure, I think. No?

Uli
--
"Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your
enemies"