[cairo] OpenType font variations and cairo

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 23:01:43 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com>
wrote:

> On 29/09/17 06:06, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I pulled your latest changes and tested with various combinations of
> freetype and fontconfig - see below. All good on the cairo side, except
> for the build fail with FT 2.6.3 but I mentioned that needs fixing in my
> review comments.
>
> There appears to be a bug in fontconfig master when using freetype 2.8.
>
> If you cleanup and rebase your commits to master with all review
> comments addressed, I'll do a final check and then it should be good to
> commit.

Thanks Adrian for all the help.

freetype 2.6.3: build failed - FT_Get_Var_Design_Coordinates not found

> freetype 2.8, fontconfig 2.11.0 : pass
>
> freetype 2.8, fontconfig 2.12.5 : pass
>
> freetype 2.8, fontconfig master :
>
> When running the fc-cache built from master I get:
>   fc-cache: fcfreetype.c:2143: IA__FcFreeTypeQueryAll: Assertion
>   `mm_var' failed.
>
> fc-cache succeeds after removing AdobeVFPrototype.ttf from ~/.fonts
>
> I tried again with AdobeVFPrototype.otf. fc-cache ran successfully and
> the cairo test passed.

Humm.  This sounds very much like what might happen with old FreeType . If
not, can you elaborate what happens again?  Can you reproduce?  What
FreeType exactly?   Does `fc-query AdobeVFPrototype.ttf` work?

I can probably replace assert with a less harsh mode of failure.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/