[cairo] Migrating Cairo to GitLab

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Aug 14 10:07:51 UTC 2018

Hi!
As you may or may not have seen, freedesktop.org is migrating our
repository hosting to GitLab. There is a lot more detail and
background in this blog post and freedesktop@ mail:
  https://www.fooishbar.org/blog/gitlab-fdo-introduction/
  https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/freedesktop/2018-July/000370.html

We'd like to schedule and discuss a migration for Cairo.

In the short term, we would like to move your Git repository. All this
means is that you will have to activate your gitlab.freedesktop.org
account (separate to the old SSH account), and that you will only be
able to push to GitLab from now on; anongit and cgit will still
function as read-only mirrors so your users do not need to change
anything. This repository migration is automated and you won't need to
do anything except discuss a suitable time with us. Instructions on
how to recover your GitLab account are here:
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/wikis/home

Longer term, we are also hoping to move away from Bugzilla. If you
have bugs in Bugzilla and you would like them migrated to use GitLab
issue tracking with your new repository, we can easily do that. If you
need some more time for Bugzilla, that's totally fine, but we would
like to discuss it with you so we can understand what people need
Bugzilla for and how we can best maintain it in future.

In order to get the migration going, please file an issue on the
freedesktop GitLab once you've recovered your account, and use the
'project migration' template. This includes a fair bit of detail, both
for you, and for us to unambiguously figure out what you want and not
mess the migration up.

Once the repository migration has happened, you are free to manage
your own users: accounts will no longer need fd.o admin intervention
to create, and you can grant whoever you like access to the
repositories. The full suite of GitLab services such as CI and Pages
are all available, though we currently only have a single CI runner
which isn't as fast as we'd like. Getting new runners is currently our
main priority, and we hope to have significantly faster runners
available in a matter of weeks.

If there's anything in this mail, the blog post, or just about your
project / fd.o in general you'd like to discuss, I'm more than happy
to follow up in private mail here, on IRC as daniels, or through the
freedesktop at lists.freedesktop.org list.

Thanks a lot for the time - hope all is well.

Cheers,
Daniel