[cairo] libcairo2-dev

Tadeus Prastowo tadeus.prastowo at unitn.it
Wed Apr 8 20:48:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:23 PM Anwar Moukaddem
<anwar.moukaddem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Tadeus,
>
> My requirement is simple.  GTK3+ recommends packages that I've listed below.

How did you get the recommendation?

FYI, Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit already comes with GTK3, specifically version
3.22.30.  And, the Ubuntu package of GTK3 only has the following
recommendation and suggestion: libgtk-3-bin, librsvg2-common, and gvfs
(you can see it yourself at
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz).

So, basically you are re-installing GTK3 when Ubuntu 18.04 already
ships with it.  Why?

>  These in turn have dependencies.
> In order to satisfy the dependencies, all the steps below are required in that order.  When I say "required" I am basing myself on : Error messages received during installation.
> After each such error messages I am repeating the whole installation (no pollution possible).
> This is why, installation steps below are all required to compile and build GTK3+ dependencies.
>
> So as for Tadeus comment about "own steps", these are really steps imposed by the single requirement of installing GTK3+ development environment on a Ubuntu machine.   That includes gobject/pango/cairo.

Ubuntu 18.04 has those packages already as you can see at
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz:

Package: gobject-introspection
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.56.1-1

Package: libpango-1.0-0
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.40.14-1

Package: libcairo2
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.15.10-2

So, I don't see that someone else would want to follow your steps.

--
Best regards,
Tadeus