[cairo] Release management for Cairo

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:01:59 UTC 2021

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 17:03, Uli Schlachter <psychon at znc.in> wrote:

> Am 25.04.21 um 19:12 schrieb Emmanuele Bassi:
> [..]
> >  - Xlib
> >  - XCB
>
> P.S.: AFAIK cairo-xcb started as a fork of cairo-xlib that then got a
> rewrite. Or three. It would be nice to merge them into a single
> cairo-x11 backend.
>
> Once upon a time, I suggested removing cairo-xlib and relying on the
> existing cairo-xcb-xlib mechanism to provide the cairo-xlib API. This
> was rejected because it would introduce new bugs. The existing
> cairo-xlib bugs are at least known.

It would be interesting to have a cairo-xlib-over-xcb surface to test out,
but I am loath to sink more time on anything related to X11.

For instance: GTK still uses Xlib, and it won't ever switch to XCB;
partially because API, and partially because X11 is pretty much legacy
tech, at this point.

Having said that: if it's feasible to build a cairo-xlib version that uses
XCB on the backend—i.e. expose the cairo-xlib API but internally use
XCB—and it's possible to verify that it does not introduce regressions,
then I don't see why anybody should block that effort. Bugs are bugs,
whether they are known or not.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--