[cairo] Dev setup for cairo - containers ?

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Fri Sep 16 07:50:02 UTC 2022

Am 13.09.22 um 17:05 schrieb Uli Schlachter:
> Hi,
>
> Am 06.09.22 um 14:26 schrieb Stuart Axon:
>> Do people here use containers when developing cairo ?
>> I remember a long time ago breaking things by overwriting my system
>> cairo - what method do people use to isolate their builds from the
>> system cairo ?
>
> Personally, I use LD_PRELOAD to run whatever I want with my dev-cairo.
> Something like LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/cairo/meson/build/dir/src/ program.

Correction: I actually meant LD_LIBRARY_PATH above, but LD_PRELOAD would
work as well. In that case, one would also have to add "/libcairo.so" to
the path above.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH adds a directory to the list of directories that the
dynamic linker searches libraries in. LD_PRELOAD is just a brute force
"load this library" and later when the normal "load libcairo" code runs,
it will just notice that the library was already loaded.

Cheers,
Uli
--
If you have a problem, and you use threads to solve it, then you have
two problems and four of them happen randomly in a way you cannot