[cairo] Is Cairo Library an X Window Component or not?

Виктор Михайлов vm3117654 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:45:45 UTC 2023

Thank you Tarnyko for your answer. You have clarified the issue for
me. I see Cairo is neither X.org's component, nor X.org uses it when
drawing its own (X.org's) primitives.

Still I have one more question.

I know Cairo's strong feature is a high quality antialiasing and even
subpixel rendering when drawing lines, curves and text output. Is
there antialiasing and subpixel rendering of approximately the same
quality in X.org itself? I don't mean the case when X.org's objects
are used as buffers or surfaces and actual graphic output is done on
the client side by libraries like Cairo, GTK, QT etc. In this case
antialiasing and subpixel rendering may be flawless, but X server has
nothing to do with this. I mean the situation when X.org makes drawing
with its own primitives (lines, rectangles, arcs, curves etc.). Does
X.org Server draw these primitives itself with antaliasing and
subpixel rendering of reasonable quality, or their quality leaves much
to be desired - it's low by modern standards and it's impossible to
fix it?

Viktor.