[cairo] OS X backend

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri Dec 5 10:31:38 PST 2003

On Dec 4, Nathan Gray wrote:
 > I'm starting an attempt to hack together an OS X quartz backend for
 > cairo.

The more portable the better as far as I'm concerned.

 > It seems that the build process is not so cross-platform at the
 > moment, however, and I'm hitting some bumps.

Heh, that's the nature of portability problems. They can be rather
difficult to predict. Thanks for your report.

 > 1.  Apple has a tool called libtool that, alas, is not the same as Gnu
 > libtool.  Thus libtoolize is called glibtoolize on OS X.

I've just committed a fix to allow the default names of all of the autofoo
programs to be overridden via environment variables. So you should be
able to do something like:

	LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize ./autogen.sh

 >    ./configure: line 19648: syntax error near unexpected token `XRENDER,'
 >    ./configure: line 19648: `  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XRENDER, xrender

Hmmm... Do you have pkg-config installed? The autogen script is
supposed to check for it and print something like the following
message if it can't be found:

	autogen.sh: Error: Could not find pkg-config macros.
        	(Looked in /usr/share/aclocal/pkg.m4)
        	If pkg.m4 is available in /another/directory, please set
        	ACLOCAL_FLAGS=\"-I /another/directory\"
        	Otherwise, please install pkg-config.

        pkg-config is available from:
        http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/

So maybe the logic to do that check is broken? Or maybe there is some
other problem?