[cairo] OS X backend

Nathan Gray n8gray at caltech.edu
Fri Dec 5 10:55:57 PST 2003

On Dec 5, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Carl Worth wrote:

> On Dec 4, Nathan Gray wrote:
>
>> 1.  Apple has a tool called libtool that, alas, is not the same as Gnu
>> libtool.  Thus libtoolize is called glibtoolize on OS X.
>
> I've just committed a fix to allow the default names of all of the
> autofoo
> programs to be overridden via environment variables. So you should be
> able to do something like:
>
> 	LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize ./autogen.sh

Sounds good.  I'll try it out.

>>    ./configure: line 19648: syntax error near unexpected token
>> `XRENDER,'
>>    ./configure: line 19648: `  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XRENDER, xrender
>
> Hmmm... Do you have pkg-config installed? The autogen script is
> supposed to check for it and print something like the following
> message if it can't be found:
>  [...]

I did need to install pkg-config to get past the check that you
mentioned.  I fed it the option "-I /usr/local", thinking that it
wanted the root of the install, but re-reading the message I see that
it wants the complete path to pkg.m4.  I guess I should have paid more
attention.

Now I get this error:
configure: error: Library requirements (xrender >= 0.6) not met;
consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your
libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

I don't have an xrender.pc file anywhere on my system.  My X server,
however, does support the render extension, as "xdpyinfo | grep RENDER"
reveals.

Since my goal is to build on quartz (potentially without X) I can live
without X support, though it would be nice for testing.  Building
--without-x, I run into the problem that I haven't build/installed slim
yet, so I guess I'm on the right track.  Ok, time to do some package
installation... :-)

Cheers,
-n8