[Cairo] GtkCairo

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Wed Nov 5 16:18:29 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:06:55PM -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> Just yesterday (?) I committed some similar work by Amaury Jacquot. It
> can be found in cairo-demo/gtk. It would be useful to compare the two
> approaches.

All right, here goes.  :)

 - both appear to be cutups of grrobot's board (?).
 - that one uses the old-style gtkobject interface, which I believe is
   now a wrapper around the new one (GtkTypeInfo -> GTypeInfo).
 - that one has an explicit set_size function, mine relies on GTK's
   set_usize().
 - that one looks like it handles non-window cairo widgets (I don't know
   the details of it).
 - that one has some drawing code built-in that displays "hello world",
   etc.
 - mine builds as a pkg-config-style library, that one is some
   source files to simply drop in to a project.

Really quite similar, though.  Definitely a duplication of effort. :\

> It never hurts to have lots of demos in CVS. They can help users see
> different ways of doing things. Maybe just push the current
> cairo-demo/gtk code down into a subdirectory and put your code next to
> it.

Hmm, ok...  I didn't really intend for it to be a "demo", but rather a
library that I/others could build on top of.

I'll come back when I have a more convincing argument.  :)

--
Evan Martin
martine at danga.com
http://neugierig.org