[Cairo] format for api docs

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 14:24:51 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:08, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> On Monday 13 October 2003 01:38 pm, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > D-BUS is using Doxygen, and I think it's working out
> > well for them. The Qt dependency is a bit annoying, but shouldn't
> > be too bad if it's an optional dependency for people hacking
> > on the sources.
>
> I am using Doxygen, and it does not have any Qt dependencies. It does make
> some assumptions about coding patterns that Qt uses, however, and is very C++
> oriented, which may be a problem for Cairo.

It doesn't depend on your *code* using Doxygen, however I'm pretty
sure it does depend on Qt. Why otherwise would Question 9 of the
Doxygen FAQ be "Why does doxygen use Qt?"

http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/faq.html

> It is almost impossible to get it
> to produce documentation for a function that is not a C++ class member.

Hmm, D-BUS seems to be using it without any real problems.

> Biggest win of Doxygen is that you can document inline functions in the
> source code rather than the header file, which makes the header file smaller
> and more readable. I think this ability is missing from other systems (?).

gtk-doc certainly provides this capability. (No gtk-doc doesn't
depend on GTK+, though it has other limitations mentioned earlier;
doxygen is a much more general tool.)

Regards,
					Owen