[Cairo] cairo API suggestion

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Sep 12 11:58:29 PDT 2003

Around 11 o'clock on Sep 12, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Don't such ideas make assumptions that Cairo is running locally?

Cairo is a C API, and will probably always need some local state.  We
already have one example where the cairo API wraps some level of remote
rendering (X w/ Render).

> Cairo is supposed to be a *drawing* library, not another user-interface
> toolkit.

Cairo exists to serve the needs of application and toolkit developers.  If
adding some support for object management to cairo will dramatically
improve the capabilities of cairo consumers, then we should strongly
consider adding them.

-keith