[cairo] bug 4945: six months to fix a bug ?

Eric Faurot eric.faurot at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 00:33:00 PST 2007

On 2/1/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

Hi,

> Your message pretty much answers itself.  But I highlight some points.
> These are my personal thought.  Not representing cairo developers at
> all.
>
>   - We are not looking for a "cleaner" patch than that of Eric.  We are
> just looking for "clean" patch.  Eric's is definitely not.  You've known
> if you had took a little look at it.  As a principle, we do not commit
> temporary hacks to cairo.  And I think this is accepted practice to
> leave it to distributions to pick temporary hacks.

Then, as stated in my other mail, the current xlib backend should be
considered an unclean temporary hack and removed from cairo.  As for
the dirtiness of my patch, there are a few issues here and there, such
as thread-safety, but otherwise I'd be interrested in reading your
comments on it.

>   - Thank you for telling us what we should be working on.
> Unfortunately our view of importance is different from that of yours.

Please remember that you also have people relying on your softawre.

> While supporting 8-bit displays is important to us, it has not been
> important enough to anyone to fix it cleanly.

Please define "cleanly"

Eric.