[cairo] Cairo and OpenGL on Mac OS X

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:42:23 PST 2007

On 2/6/07, Mirco Müller <macslow at bangang.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 06.02.2007, 11:31 +0100 schrieb Clemens Nylandsted
> Klokmose:
>
> > We interested in experimenting with Cairo, but is it possible at all
> > to use Cairo and OpenGL on the Mac without using X11?
>
>         While my experience with software-development on OSX (only OpenGL, no
> cairo at that time) is more than three years old, I think you can easily
> blend cairo and OpenGL on OSX using cairo's image-surfaces and create
> OpenGL texture-objects from those without the need for X11.

So why not skip the image surface and just draw directly via glitz? It
looks like the necessary agl code is there in glitz already
(glitz_agl_create_pbuffer_drawable). I've never tried it though :)

But yes, Clemens, you can use Cairo+OpenGL on OS X w/out X11 for sure.
The "render to image surface, then create texture" approach Mirco
suggested is probably the easiest way to go. Using glitz would just
get you some speed.

Dan