[cairo] Using Pango+Cairo to layout non-standard / international text

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Apr 28 09:33:46 PDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:56:21 -0400,
> Win32 is for a prototype.  Linux is the product.  I would prefer developing
> using my working prototype and adding this feature.  I got the latest gtk
> for Win32 and the cairo it comes with does not support freetype (pango does).
> I asumed this would be the same for the Linux version.

That's an incorrect assumption, then.

Most cairo builds that you will find will support the platform's
"native" font system. For Linux, this is freetype. So the cairo and
pango packages in almost any Linux distribution will have freetype
support.

For Microsoft Windows, most builds of cairo will *not* use freetype,
as it's generally not desired, (instead, cairo-using applications for
Windows generally want to access the native font system so that they
have the same list of fonts available as other applications, etc.).

Personally, I'd recommend developing your Linux applications on Linux
to avoid confusion. :-)

It should technically be possible to build cairo+pango with freetype
support on Microsoft Windows, but it's not something that's done
frequently, meaning that you're unlikely to find pre-built packages
for this, and you may run into some unique issues since you're doing
something that's been tested much less than more conventional uses.

Does that make more sense now?