[cairo] Build problems windows: cairo snapshot 1.5.14

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Fri Mar 21 11:51:10 PDT 2008

Hi Gerdus,

On Mar 21, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Gerdus van Zyl wrote:

> I am getting link errors when trying to build cairo snapshot 1.5.14
> on Windows.
> It works using msys/gcc but I can't find the DLL it is supposed to
> create , no error though.
>
> Getting cairo to compile from git is a real pain on windows, because
> of autoconf/make and it's dependencies that still don't work after
> weeks of trying. I'm a C noob so please forgive any obvious
> mistakes. It may just be that my build env is messed up. So if
> anybody else has success compiling on windows, I can know it's me :-)

You shouldn't need to deal with autoconf/etc.; Makefile.win32 is pre-
created for you.  The one thing you'll need to provide is a cairo-
features.h in the src dir (which normally autoconf would generate),
but it looks like you're already past that.  Looking at your VC8
output, for some reason the compiler is interpreting -link as "link"
instead of passing the flags afterward to the linker... I haven't
tried building VC9 (VS 2008), so I wonder if something changed with
cl.  I know that it builds fine with VC8.

You may try modifying Makefile.win32 in the toplevel dir and or the
src dir, and replace -link with /link and -DEF with /DEF  (or, if
you're running under the MSYS shell, with //link and //def so that the
shell doesn't try to do path munging).

     - Vlad