[cairo] Question about cairo without a native backend

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Mon Jun 28 07:56:06 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 11:22 -0300, Piero B. Contezini wrote:
> I have a question about how Cairo works, if anyone can give me a glue
> it would be very kind.
>
> I'm compiling cairo for iPhone, it works when I disable all the native
> backends, but the result is that I can't get it to render anything. Is
> cairo always dependent upon a native backend?

No, you don't need any backend when compiling Cairo. Then you should
just get the image backend and that should work fine.

> I've compiled the same code in OSX, without any backend and it doesnt
> work too, however, when I activate openGL, it works!
>
> I'm lost here, as my perception is that it should work.

It should work.
But that doesn't mean that it does work, as pretty much noone ever
compiles Cairo without a backend, so what you are doing probably hasn't
been done in a long time. That said, I don't have an idea where to look.

Good luck finding the problem, and if it's our fault, please send the
solution our way.

Benjamin