[cairo] Fwd: Fractals and procedural generation

Soul Cycle soulcycle3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 13:03:39 UTC 2017

Are you asking if you would be permitted to implement this for Cairo?
> I'm not sure whether we'd take a patchset that added this, but I'd
> certainly be open to a more detailed technical proposal of how you'd
> code it.

I'm sorry. I wouldn't be able to do this. Apophysis has some new classes of
fractals which I would like to operate with in Inkscape.

> >    2. Could you consider implementing framework for 3D pathtracer as
> >    Mandelbul3D or Fragmentarium ?
> >        https://github.com/3Dickulus/FragM
> >        http://blog.hvidtfeldts.net/
>
> That looks like a large amount of code for a fairly specific
> functionality, what is your thinking as to why it would need to be in
> Cairo?

Some of the Illustrator abilities have implemented 3D raster engine to
rendering lights and shadows and manipulating curves in 3D space.
I was wondering if this pathtracer would be useful for Inkscape to render
projections of 3D procedural objects as 2D splines, curves ?
Basically, make more procedural and CAD like features in Inkscape.

I've wondered about Vulkan myself.  Do you use the OpenGL backend
> currently?  What is your interest in Vulkan, that wouldn't already be
> met by the current GPU support?  I posted a patchset to upgrade our
> OpenGL ES to version 3.0 a few weeks back, which may provide some of
> those benefits.  Did you have a chance to look at or test it?
>
> As to OpenCl, what would your thoughts be on how Cairo would make use of
> it?

I'm sorry again. I'm more an artists who likes to draw in Inkscape. I was
wondering about Vulkan to improve rendering for high density curves and
paths and for viewport performance.