[cairo] libcairo2-dev

cecashon at aol.com cecashon at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 21:41:22 UTC 2020

Hi Anwar,

My understanding is that you use apt to get the cairo package on Ubuntu and this breaks Ubuntu. If this is the case, then ask on the Ubuntu mailing list.

Some things that you want to think about before asking. If you get cairo from a different source than apt and have a different version than what Ubuntu expects, you can build cairo in your working directory with "make" but don't use "make install" to add the built shared library to the system or else bad things will happen. That is true of a GTK build that Ubuntu doesn't expect also. Ubuntu works with certain versions of libraries on purpose and apt gets those checked versions. You can't expect Ubuntu to be able to run with any version of a library and be stable. You can always test the built cairo version in a working directory without it being installed to a system folder.

GTK has a lot of dependencies and like Ubuntu needs to check what versions of the different libraries work with a certain GTK build. If you want to build GTK4 or another version and test with it you can. I have used jhbuild to build different versions of GTK to test on Ubuntu. That way you don't mess with the system libraries and can test different versions of GTK. For questions about building GTK it is best to ask on GTK Discourse. There are some folks there that know a lot more about building GTK than I do.

Hope this helps,
Eric